A refreshing summer entree — and a go-to raw food staple for any occasion. I love getting creative with this recipe and changing the theme from Mediterranean to Mexican.
Taco nut meat:
- 1 cup raw walnuts ( soaked 2-4hours/drained )
- 1 cup raw almonds ( soaked 6-8 hours/drained and blanched )
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds ( ground in coffee grinder )
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup olive oil ( cold pressed extra virgin )
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 garlic clove ( minced )
- 1 teaspoon braggs liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and Black pepper to taste
- Lettuce, Collard Leaf, Broccoli Leaf (focus on a durability and taste)
- 1 small ripe avocado ( sliced )
- 1/2 pint ripe cherry tomatos
- 2 green onion stalks ( cut into small rounds )
- 1/4 cup cilantro ( leaves only )
- 1 lime ( cut into small wedges )
After walnuts and almonds are fully soaked and you’ve blanched the almonds (skins removed), toss both types of nuts into a food processor or blender (if no access to food processor).
Pulse for a minute, use a spatula to scrape down the sides. Add the nut meat ingredients to the nut mixture, mix well.
Serve with Lettuce leaves or Collard Leaves and fresh toppings. Enjoy!
You might need to stop and scrape the sides so everything mixes in well. This dish can also be made into a taco salad by using mixed lettuce greens instead. Top with a vegan hemp seed dressing for a added kick!
Experiment with a variety of toppings:
Radishes, Jalapeno, Jicama, Olives… Be creative!