A great take on the classic. This appetizer is perfect for a party, loaded with flavor that will keep you and your guests coming back for more!
- 2 medium zucchinis ( cut of both ends )
- 1 teaspoon olive oil ( cold-pressed )
- A pinch of sea salt
- 20 large or 40 small basil leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes ( halved )
- 20 kalamata olives ( pitted, and halved )
- 20 toothpicks
- Use an alternative ‘cheese’ recipe — see my recipe here
After cutting the ends of the zucchinis use a mandoline slicer or a vegetable peeler to cut into thin strips. Brush the slices with the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Set aside until ready to use.
Prep the tomatoes, olives, and basil.
Assembly: Place zucchini slices on the flat work surface. Put one of the basil leaves along the end nearest to where you are going to roll inward. Layer with a small teaspoon of hemp-sesame cheese, half of tomato and olive. Take the end with the toppings and roll inward. Place basil & olive on top and thread a toothpick through.
Makes about 20 rolls. If you have extra cheese use save it for veggie sticks, crackers, or chips. Enjoy!